Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bands Who Put out Great Albums in 2007

I am not going to group this by rank or genre or anything. But here are my favorites released this year, and some comments about them. Also check out out Top 50 Albums on www.thesilentballet.com

Efterklang- (I fucking love this band. Both records released this year, Under Giant Trees and Parades, have blown Mew away; now they are officially the best band in Denmark)

Rogue Wave-(After too much post-rock and classical, sometimes I need some good rock.)

Kings of Leon- (I heard it this year anyway)

Port Royal- (A great follow-up to the masterpiece of Flares, this Italian ambient group continues to impress.)

God is an Astronaut- (Amazing post-rock group, I think from Scotland. This release showed tons of growth.)

GRAILS- (Dark, moody, organic. Also one of the best live performances I've seen in a while.)

Explosions in the Sky- (Many people seem to have been disappointed by All of A Sudden I Miss Everyone, but I loved it, especially the remixes. I think it will grow on listeners over time, like all their music. I am hoping for something a little more ground breaking on the next release though.)

Caspian- (Probably the best release of the year that most people haven't heard. The Four Trees is phenomenal, cohesive and interestingly arranged with noticable thematic elements tying the instrumental release together. Beautiful special packing as well.)

Do Make Say Think- (In truth, I was a bit let down by this release, but it grew on me and DMST are still amazing, even if Rust couldn't top &yet and hymns, which were amazing records. At least they tried some new things.)

Feist- (I love Leslie Feist, and apparently so does the rest of the world now. It's ok; I've seen her live numerous times and it was obvious that someone with her talent and charisma would make it big. Cheers!)

Holy Fuck- (Awesome electronic group from Montreal. This ep was so much better produced than there other stuff, very cool organic/electro stuff.)

Battles- (Just check it out. Great live, very weird, total progression from the EPs, and not for everyone.)

Radiohead- (I have nothing to say about this really. What else can be said? Grew on me big time.)

World's End Girlfriend- (I first heard this Japanese polymath when he did a collab with Mono last year. His solo work is amazing. Crazy, glitzchy multi-instrumental genre defying beauty.)

pg.lost- (A promising unsigned Swedish post-rock band.)

Blonde Redhead- (A dreamy pop album)

Eluvium- (Beautiful)

Lights Out Asia- (After 4 years, the project began as Aurore Rien continues with LOA's second release, a stunning blend of ambient and post-rock.)

Stars of the Lid- (This is an album to sleep/to drugs too. Very slow, but masterful developed.)

Slow Six- (just go read my review on www.thesilentballet.com)

Circa Survive- (On Letting Go really appealed to me, though some other's didn't seem to like it over their debut, which I also loved. Along the same lines with a few more experimental songs.)

Aesop Rock- (Not his best, but still amazing, great lyrics, and some nice beats. Cool delayed guitar and spacey bits.)

Tulsa Drone- (This record was scary on acid.)

65 Days of Static- (Yea, it's no fall of math, but its still solid.)

Giuseppe Ielasi- (Another awesome Italian making ambient music.)

Moving Mountains- (Pneuma is a solid rock record with strong song writing, arrangements, and local kids)

Looking-Glass Wars- (I was shocked at how catchy and well written these songs are.)

----

I've been putting off really listening to Bright Eyes, Devendra, and Panda Bear, and I suspect they will all be great, so I'll mention them too. In addition, I urge you all to check out

----

The Fountain Soundtrack, written by Clint Mansell- Performed by the Kronos Quartet and Mogwai. Still amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home