Saturday, June 30, 2007

ships are the greatest reserve of the imagination

So I have made it to Italia. I am now in an internet point in Napoli. Soon Iàll be meeting up with Rachel and Jamie and then we are off to Pisciotta. I spent yesterday walking around Milano, mostly chilling in the public parks, which are great. Ive said it before, but one of the best things about Europe in general is the abundance of great public spaces. Gardens, squares, parks, etc, and they are well utilized for arts and music regularly.

So Ive been listening to "the devil and god are raging within me," (or somesuch title) the latest Brand New record, alot on this trip, and it seems to be one of those albums that is perfectly describing how I feel at this point, much the same way "Through Being Cool" did in highschool. "I just wish I could inspire.." MOstly about love, regret, sleep...things I know about mostly.

Ive also been reading two books which have been really thought provoking. Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramhanse Yogananda, and Eros the bittersweet by Anne Carson. Both have been realy relevant as well, and combined with the Heterotopia article i read recenlty by Foucault, have shaped much of what Ive been thinking about lately. Of course three girls have dominated much of my thoughts lately as well, and it should be obvious to most who know me who those three are. Carson has helped me put alot into context though, which is what I was hoping for. In others we come to realize what we ourselves lack. And if you already feel like you have lost something, meeting someone else can be one of those things that makes you that much more aware of the void. Carson quotes two things I would like to reproduce here, although really I would like to reproduce the whole book, but obviosuly I cannot, so just go read it.

"Such a longing for love, rolling itself up under
my heart,
poured down much mist over my eyes,
filching out if my chest the soft lungs-"
-Archilochus

"My astonishing victory over Menti did not give me a pleasure one-tenth part as intense as the pain she gave me when she left me for M. de Rospiec." -Stendhal, THe Life of Henri Brulard

I spent much of yesterday sunbathing by a river, listening to the darkskinnedman nearby playing guitar, while I read my books, and reflected. I also wrote alot, responding to a claim Carson makes about the unique inovations of the Greek language and also responding to Foucaultàs heterotopia article. I canàt wait to begin writing papers for school again. Lame. But I enjoy it. Ok, Im soo excited to get to Pisciotta.

This will be my last internet point until I get down to Calabria or back to Rome, in a few weeks at least, so until then, stai attento.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home