Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fight Fires, Not Arabs

It's beena while. Sorry. Not that anyone really reads this, but just in case. I returned to NY for my cousin Chris' wedding, and it was a surreal experience, being a visitor in NY. Since returning to SF from NY, I have had quite a rollercoaster. 2007 has been a crazy year so far. Quick recap:

Worked in Int'l Programs
Traveled ALOT (Italy with Dad, SF to visit Kat and Ali, Budapest, Krakow/Aushwitz, Prague, Milan, Pisciotta, Roma, North Carolina Outer Banks and Charleston, SC, then moved to Florida, visited NY, and will soon be going to LA>)
Relocated here to SF, worked as Temp, bartender, and back to Sbux.
Took a class in South Asian Lit at Purchase last spring, and now global political encomony and EU politics at SFSU.
Doing alot of reading and writing, and getting ready for grad school
Sweden Fulbright proposal
Girls.

So, I am starting to get worn out here. No money, work sucks, dealing with too many things at once. Ali is thinking about leaving, and Kat and Roo may have already. I have few friends here, and I always feel like I'm bothering people when I call them. Plus, most of them are students and quite busy with school now.

I am considering returning to NY sometime in the winter, jan or feb, depending on situations here. I need to save some money, and I really miss my friends, and family too. I've accomplished alot, but have yet to make the splash I'd like to. hopefully I'll be back. This, like NY, would be a great city to be a young professional in.

Potential Plans for the summer, you ask? Well, I may stay in NY or SF and try and make some money. More likely, I'll travel some more again. I'm thinking about 3 months on a farm in Italy, with side trips to see friends. I am optimistic about being in Sweden next year, but if that falls through, I think I will go to Asia to teach as I'd planned this year. Or maybe stay in Italy or Germany, provided I can find work. I'm still feeling wanderlust, but less than in the past. Or really, I should say, I can appreciate the benefits of laying down roots somewhere.
____

So, my suject title. I'm just wondering why the fires in SoCal haven't created more controversy. It seems to me like a tragedy on par with Katrina, in so far as the National Gaurds absence made a real difference in containing the disaster. Maybe it's just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home