Friday, July 14, 2006

dem deutsche volke...

So I took a train to Bruxelles from AMsterdam, and overnighted from there to Berlin on tuesday night. I am thus in the middle of mz third day in Berlin, which has been fantastic. On Wednesday, I walked around, took a nap and showered, and decided to go on a free tour at 16:00 (4pm) figuring i should take advantage of the city, and its light out until after 10. so i did, and i ran into a friend of mines ex-girlfriend, who went to purchase. small world. shes here as a dancer, and happens to have interesting friends and know the insider locations. after the tour, we hung out at an awesome wine bar, 1 euro for a glass, drink and eat all u want, pay what u think is fare. sweet. then yesterday i walked around everwhere, went inside the Reichstag, shopped, saw the city, and met up with that girl again in order to see the Pergamonmuseum, which houses the Ischtar Gates, from which the Hanging Gardens of Babylon once hung, one of the 7 wonders of the world. Also the Anatolian Steps, with some amazing, intertingly broken friezes.

Berlin, especially in the East, where evrything is, is a really hip, cool city. Germans are slightly aloof, and build relationships slowly, but are very nice (mostly.) The city is filled with expats, however, all artists, musicians, and students. Id like to see Leipzig now, where there are students but fewer tourists. This must be siumilar to NY in the 70s and 80s. Warehouses, lofts, artists, freedom. History. Intellectuals. CUlture. and still AMericans, just the interesting ones. its nice. I leave for München late tonight, which I#m looking forward to, as well as Wien, which I keep hearing great things about.

I#m debating if I will go to Prague or not. Its up to Lexy, but I#m leaning towards putting it off until next year. I probably won#t update until I get to the hostel in Wien, so until then, Tsüß!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home