Sunday, July 09, 2006

forza italia! or not...

Well, it's late and since I slept in an airport (with a cold cold tile floor) I'd like to get to bed. But I feel the need to comment on the World Cup game. Writing here from Amsterdam, where the car horns have finally seemed to die down (are their italians everywhere?) I noticed that, although many people were rooting for France (since the Italians dispresepcted the Aussies and others) Italy's victory is still highly symbolic, for reasons I'll get to in a moment. I think a France victory would have been more positive for Europe, and history, and if it hadn't been for Zinnade's (or whtvr his name is) headbutt, I'd have flat out rooted for them too. The French team is, in my observation, the most mixed team racially of the European clubs. In this way, they have showed viewers, such as AMerican's who have watched this Cup more closly than in the past, that being 'French' doesn't have tp fit the stereotypical french ethnicity. It is thus really unfortunate that the match was won by a rather undecisive penalty kick. It's worth pointing out that of all the 9 shots taken, the goalkeepers failed to stop any of them; the win came from a French players shot deflecting off the goalpost and hitting the line. THis player also, if im not mistaken, is of Arab, or NOrth African ancestry. I hope this wont lead to negative things in France.
But the Italians did play well, with some amazing saves, good defense, and fancy footwork as always. Evive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home