Wednesday, December 17, 2008

If I've seen a bit out of it lately...

I sort of have been. I feel as though I haven't updated the world on
my happenings lately, so here's a quick recap...

After returning from the Dominican Republic this summer, I began
working full-time at uPurchase College as study abroad advisor/int'l
student assistant, a position I've held since moving back to NY in
January as a part-time employee. I decided to stay put and take this
position so I could save money and get caught up on paying off my debt (which
after all the traveling and moving I did last year, was adding up.) This turned out to be a responsible move, as the economy then continued it's downward spiral. I think this will be a good thing, creating lots of potential for change, and also for investment. And wealth re-distribution. (But that's another note.) I bought a Vespa and the rest is history... Sometime in October, they also appointed me as the inaugural Fellowship coordinator, to which the entire campus was notified, and for which many folks offered congratulations. I think most people thought that a) I got a raise (I didn't, part of my study abroad workload was redistributed, but that's fine because it is all clerical stuff) and/or b) that I can help them get funding.

Anyway, so I was living life as usual for a while, but things have gradual gotten busier and busier. In addition to work, I am still writing for the Silent Ballet (www.thesilentballet.com), volunteering on the Research Committee at the Neuberger Museum, taking a German class, applying to grad school, running the Cultural Immersion club, and trying to get a philosophy journal off the ground with Paula.

My recent countdown (currently 5 down, 7 to go) refers to my graduate school applications. A quick run down; UC Davis, Berkeley, Chicago, NYU, and Brown, with San Francisco State, Stony Brook, McGill, U Buffalo, CUNY, Central European University, and Domus Academy left. They are a mix of PhD and MA programs, mostly in Cultural/Communications/Media/Art History studies. CEU in Budapest is a History MA program. Yes.

So, work has been keeping me busier than I anticipated. In September and October, I did some traveling around the SUNY system doing recruiting for our summer programs. End of October we had a CIE meeting in Oswego, and I'm now part of a sub-committee to redesign the SUNY abroad website. Yay, more on the plate. November was NAFSA and COIL conferences, which were somewhat enjoyable, though time seemed to have accelerated at this point. My first application was due on Dec 1, and since then I've been non-stop. Now, I have a short break to look around.

Things I'm working on:

My favorite albums of 08; I cannot claim to have heard everything (even though I have head A LOT of music this year,) and particularly since I am so busy, there are tons of records I still haven't gotten around to giving a good listen too. So, I've compiled a list of my fav albums released this year, especially some things I think more people should check out. That will be up soon.

Meanwhile, www.thesilentballet.com will be releasing our 3rd annual Top 50 list before the end of the year, so check that out for the best postrock/electronic/instrumental/etc. I also have a long-overdue article/interview with From Monument to Masses and another interview with Italy's Sparkle in Grey coming out soon.

In the new year, I have two artistic projects, at least, that I intend on finishing. A) My paternal Grandfather, Alfonso Sannicandro, recorded a series of tapes in 1988, shortly before he was to have a stroke and ultimately passaway. He tells stories in a compelling style, the narrativ drifting with his mind, as characters come and go while he talks. He relates shining shoes at Yankee Stadium, loosing his wife to cancer, moving a piano, the changes happening in the Bronx, and in the nation. Earlier this year, I tracked down these tapes, and began to transfer them to digital. This project is two fold. One, I will eventually write a book based on his stories, while my family members will receive a copy of the digital transfer. Two, I'm using the tapes as source material for a musical project. It will sound strange. B) Almost one year ago I began saving all of my receipts. I noticed that receipts are ubiquitous, yet most people do not look at them or give them a second thought. Since they are printed, and since i often use my cards to pay for things, I decided to keep them all. As modern trash, as historical documents, as a record of my spending habits and life, of my travel habits. I will soon begin to weave these records into a narrative, which will be presented visually. I am utilizing something that would otherwise be trash, but also materializing a portrait. I don't want to give too much away, but I hope to complete this by May. Additionally, I have some songs I'd like to set down to 'tape' soon, so maybe I'll get around to that. And finally I hope that Lee and I can synchronize our schedules and bring the party this year too.

So, now, before I get back to work, finishing up my applications, studying German, polishing off my TSB assignments, etc, I'd like to catch up with some people I haven't seen often enough recently. I leave for San Francisco on the evening of January 8th, to visit professors/schools, see friends, and ski the West finally. So, let's make plans before then.

Love


j.

ps this post needs a picture, how about....

http://sandvig.mariegaard.net/wp-content/jorn_aelling_90228big.jpg


a detourned duck

and a potentially chilling vision of globalization. We live in financial times, eh?

http://www.stillad.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ftcityscape.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home