Sunday, October 18, 2009

straight arrows and flashing green lights

Well, it's about time for a venting post. The past few weeks have been pretty difficult. I've realized that I grew accustomed to being around people, having a pretty extensive social life. I went to work, saw my co-workers, advised my students, hung out with my friends, girlfriend, etc. Here, the amount of time that I have any genuine interaction with other people is far more limited. I think that's a big part of why I actually miss having a job.

Otherwise, despite all the things I've had to give up (hopefully just temporarily,) I'm glad I'm here. I've met some very interesting people, though I suppose I always do. I have the opportunity to read and think, hone my craft (writing,) and really engage in the issues in a way I've wanted to but have been largely unable. I am hoping to add some more activities to my routine, but in the meanwhile I have been playing more music than I should be. I recorded a song last week, on a late night, in one sitting. I called it "Static Learning," based on a chord progression I've been bumbling around with for a long time. I recorded it in that one sitting, and mixed it the following afternoon. Each track was recorded in one take. I am happy with the result.

I'm working on recording some other songs I've been holding onto for a while as well, those the one-take model isn't working on these because the skeleton of the composition isn't laid out. I have at least two more songs that should be finished in the next couple weeks, hopefully, and then maybe some different styles; more glitch, more beat-driven.

Which reminds me. Since coming back from a visit to NY a few weeks ago, I've been pretty busy, which was much needed. I worked at Pop Montreal, Lexy came up to visit for her birthday, then Molly and her friend came up for Canadian Thanksgiving. This weekend I'm on my own. I staid in last night with my roommate and her friends, and had a good night talking and not understanding French. I do miss NY a lot though. Some days are better than others. But overall I've had a great week.

___________________________________________

I wish I felt like talking about something important, sharing some news stories or something, but I'm falling short right now.

I guess I should encourage people to follow me on twitter.

@thesilentballet for all things instrumental music....

and @thenewobjective for random updates and interesting re-tweets.

That's all for now. Maybe I can make it a point to use this blog to force myself to explore Montreal more.

I worked at Pop Montreal just recently, and as a result got to visit more clubs than I'd already been too. I guess I should compile a list. I'm visiting Le National on Monday night, which is one of two important venues I have not visited yet, the other being Divan Orange.

I'm also trying to find out where the best loft parties are. I'll keep you posted. The Vice party next week is supposed to be impressive. We'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home